Saturday, February 9, 2013


The Berkeley Oak Grove Tree Sit [2006-2007,] and #OO!: A Photographer’s Urban Studies and Sub-cultural Related Sociological Assessment

 

            I came to the Berkeley Oak Grove tree sit in 2006 after reading a little blurb about it in The San Jose Mercury News. At this point I should tell you that I have spent most of my life in the east bay and bay area. [I’m a rider hommie!] Anyway, urban studies casual vernacular aside, in 2006 I would come to visit the Oak Grove several times from the south bay to attempt photography. I was between my fine arts undergrad and my fine arts grad programs. I took a nine year undergraduate sabbatical starting around 1996 due to a student loan application mishap. I did a lot of blue collar work then, I was always scraping by and I haven’t had too much steady employment since.

            Before I moved back to the east-bay I didn’t really get as much out of my photos at the tree sit as I would have hoped. Once I was living in West Oakland in 2007 however, that had changed. I became a regular activist, at least I thought so. I photographed especially in the last four months of activity at the grove / Piedmont Avenue. It should be remembered as yet the world’s longest running urban tree sit of 648 days. I’m imagining the events surrounding the XL pipeline may also break new records. Let’s hope for something positive.

There was a tall, older bicyclist I knew and we would exchange road rage in the east bay whenever we met, it became a pretty fucking pointless effort. He showed up at Berkeley Critical Mass, and the Oak Grove protest from time to time, and we finally got sick of the conflict thankfully. From that time onward I decided to treat all cyclists like brothers and sisters regardless of my thoughts of who I considered them to be, a lesson in karma. During a protest event at the tree sit sometime in 2007, we had blockaded Piedmont Avenue; this was a regular activity of the tree sit. It had become very difficult to get food and supplies to the tree sitters. The UC Berkeley administration had hired workers to encircle the Grove with tall fencing. The UCBPD were a constant presence. In retrospect with all of the security costs that the UCB took on to “secure” the grove it would have saved them at least half a million dollars if they had endeavored to remove and replant the endangered trees. This is a practice that is more common in Japan, where costs are high and resources tight. Their practice involves replanting somewhere for a year to ascertain the stability of the tree in question, and if it is healthy then it is moved onward for park service or some kind of landscaping. The point actually was that placing a stadium on a fault line for the purpose of deforestation was not logical, the stadium has been there since the 30s, before that time UC science professors had used the area as a natural habitat for educational purposes, destroying an ecosystem and building in that area is not very intelligent. They wanted to build a NFL training center for their star athletes. So they eventually did. To say the least preventive maintenance and diplomacy are not the strong points of the University of California agenda. The UCBPD knocked my tall nearly senior citizen friend face down from a standing position onto the street. He actually bounced a bit, it was really dreadful, and I was horrified. I was also really angry so I was motivated to take a lot of photographs.

The tree sit lawyer got my photos on CD, which I delivered to her Berkeley residence, and I had burnt the CD at home. The gentleman in question was acquitted and a UCB police officer received a damning reprimand. It was too much work however for a simple abuse case I was told, however the trauma and the injury to the individual made up for that at least tenfold, from the lawyer’s perspective, it was cause worthy. So anyway FUCK YEAH! GO COPWATCH! That was my first occurrence of photographing police abuse, or having my photographs used for such a purpose.

I got so sick and tired of witnessing police harassment and abuse. My living conditions at the time had deteriorated to the level of volatility also, so my life was a lot like WW3. It was good training; I couldn’t really photograph at Occupy without these kinds of experiences. Also at the Oak Grove in another instance during the Piedmont Avenue blockade an Asian woman stood by her vehicle while her young son sat in the passenger seat. She was very talkative. At the Oak Grove Berkeley tree sit we were trained to integrate with the public and in this case the drivers to keep them informed, to help them chill out for a while, turn off their engines, read a book, maybe chat with them about the tree sit, offer them condolences for the wait, etc. It was seen as an opportunity to make a connection with the outside community. The fucking cops man. At first her not going into her car and ignoring the cops seem pretty much normal it should be noted. The UC pigs kept telling her to go into her car. It really didn’t help that she was one of the first three cars in front of the blockade. Eventually I was almost begging her to sit in her car, warning her. I was going back and forth with my camera, always walking around trying to be observant. This incident was worse. In front of her kid the cop violently shook her. Like I’m going to shake some sense into you somehow high velocity vibrating is going to really positively help your brain. She was traumatized, the kid was traumatized, and I was WW3 angry as fuck as usual. Patients, time, pain and calmness management had already become major tasks at the Berkeley Oak Grove tree sit. The Asian woman was handcuffed, it was so awful. This lady wasn’t very much older than I and I could do nothing. She spoke with our attorney who was present, and they reviewed my photos. The woman should have pressed charges, we didn’t want to give her too much pressure however, and I had already explained to the attorney how I couldn’t get her to heed the police warnings. She told the TV news reporters that although she could almost accept the apologies given to her by the police officer and the UCBPD it was not her intension to press charges. She also explained on television that although what the officer did was basically assault [she played it down and said “wrong,” the newscaster explained it was assault somehow,] that she would still encourage her son to respect the authority of the police of some such bullshit. I don’t recall the specific wording. The whole ordeal was terrible. Adding insult to injury was a major activity of the UCBPD at that time in the protest. I haven’t seen either the cyclist or the Asian lady in quite some time now. We live in an age of spoiled community. http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinbaueroakgroveberkeley/5478617298/in/set-72157623954170126; This is the main photograph in the set that clearly shows the anguish of the Asian woman who was being harassed and abused by the UCBPD. She is a very strong woman to have tolerated that. You need a flickr account and the authorities may be watching so be forewarned, you might consider a secure channel. There may have been a video also, but I am guessing it was deleted as per her request.

Zachary Running Wolf would joke that he lined his PD yellow slips on his wall like a collage or wallpaper. Zach received hundreds of arrests during the tree sit. Occupy Oakland is pretty good at telling off the cops, we at the Berkeley Oak Grove received honorary accreditation in shit talking with significant immediacy, sophistication, and extreme grandeur. Also it was usually a pretty boring place to be. I don’t have any examples for you at the moment, so I apologize, you might be able to imagine. You can also probably imagine how creative some of the citations became. Jay-walking? Really? [Remember this predates NDAA and CISPA, although the police seemed aware of encapsulation as a tactic.] Verbal abuse, just complete bullshit charges, especially considering the police liked to pretend that they could give fair exchange in tense situations. They weren’t fair at all and I dislike imagining their insipid behavior. Photographing ZRW became a steady source of indybay.org fodder for me. Oscar Grant, John Woo, Critical Mass, for a time I was ZRW’s media person, sometimes I still am.

Most of what I learned about photo-documentation of activism, I learned at the Grove. In 1988 or 89 George Bush Senior was to attend a $10,000 a plate fundraiser dinner by some old lady in Orinda, she grew everything in her home garden. I did some black and white photos and mostly didn’t know what I was looking for, I was in high school. Lines of cops and protest stickers on the back of people’s leather jackets such as Act-Up! was one image of mine. Somebody got arrested for throwing a tomato at the limousine, but that was on the other side of town. I was the only punk enthusiast at my section of the protest. Many of the protesters were from San Francisco. In regards to the sub-culture I was informed that punks never want to protest seriously, that was the consensus at the time. 

Today that seems somewhat less the case. More people come to protests with digital cameras of some kind and I do my best to encourage photographers and photography in general. I have my BFA and Post-Baccalaureate in Photography from The San Francisco Art Institute. Ansel Adams helped build the darkroom, and there are three Diego Rivera murals on campus. Annie Lebowitz, Mark Pauline, and Enrique Chagoya are my all time favorite alumni, look them up. In the early 1990s before his retirement I lucked out taking a required photo elective with Pirkle Jones. His wife Sofia and he were amongst the first people to photograph The Black Panthers in Oakland. His photographs are amazing and quickly became part of the Panther media at that time in the 1960s. Many memorable images of the Panthers from early in the movement are his. In the last decade as a return student I was fortunate enough to attend a photo-documentary class with Darcy Padilla. Her work of interest was black and white photography of SF Hispanic street gangs, which I believe she may have photographed as a student at sfai, her emphasis was the gangster women [Chicanas,] and their culture.

I tend to keep these kinds of things in mind while photographing at protests; the memories keep me going sometimes. At the recent Occupy Oakland First Anniversary I was treated to a very exceptional slideshow presentation. We booed at the cops and cheered for our friends, even while speeches were being made, and during music performances. It was pretty cool. To look at my 80 or 90 or so indybay.org photo-documentation articles type [darin bauer; use spacing and lower case letters,] into the search bar on the left of the home page. I have a few public websites. I have a lot of protest documentation, I don’t know if any government agencies are monitoring it, it can’t be worth it to them, but you know how they are, perhaps a remote server or a public computer is best if you love to look at good images.

If you look at http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?artid=45308, you will see a variety of images. Printing costs have become too difficult and most galleries aren’t interested in helping with printing costs; to put it mildly. I’ll ask again if #OO art / media can help me out. Image 13 of 21 and 10 of 21 give a general sense of what a Berkeley Oak Grove / Piedmont Avenue blockade would look like. Image 11 of 21 is different in that Ayr and ZRW were part of a sage blessing ceremony of the Oak Grove with Ohlone elder Wounded Knee, (not pictured.)

If you view my Berkeley Tree Sit “set” on flickr.com you will receive a much larger interpretation of events at the Oak Grove. In many cases you will need a flickr account, which is free however. The photo in the Oak Grove set after Ayr and ZRW in sage ceremony is a picture during CAL game day with UCB administrator Dan Mogulof [current nemesis of Occupy University of California Berkeley,] and ZRW facing off. There is another photograph of Piedmont Avenue with a man with a tee shirt over his face that is typical of our street blockade also. In order of mention;



http://www.flickr.com/darinbaueroakgroveberkeley/3030099117/in/set-7215762395417026; This is a good photo of a typically boring day at the Oak Grove tree sit. The following photograph in that set is of Dumpster Muffin who was very prominent in the Mama redwood tree’s tree sitter god box, defending the tree. It was good to see her out of the tree and in good spirits at that time. My overall favorite is of a young woman with her son and a young man playing guitar in the background. http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinbaueroakgroveberkeley/2726567970/in/set-72157623954170126 There was a time in 2007 before the fence had been erected by the UCB, the tree camp was a very nice place at times. I imagine the grove, and how it looked before the fencing dividing the grove and the stadium. Hippies, travelers and students harmonizing under the canopy, distinct from the crowds intent on football. Generations of people…public space is shrinking, the oak grove protest was a way of coming to terms with how things have changed in the bay area since I was very young and that photograph typifies the sentiment succinctly. The parties and celebrations at the grove that I was not able to attend were legendary to say the least. Almost all of this is available on the internet somewhere.

My “#OO” flickr set is easier to manage. Just because a photograph makes for decent journalism on indybay.org doesn’t mean it should appear on the web within a fine art context. The Death of Capitalism on February 29th 2012, Leap Year Day has some prominence in that set. The General Strikes and Move-In day are also included. During the Scott Olsen ordeal I was talking to as many people as possible to get a handle on the situation and to make sure that shit was getting taken care of. The street stragglers from the protest on Broadway Avenue negotiated amidst tear gas and somehow Jesse was capable to carry Scott. I have back problems and had been walking and bicycling all day, and most of that week. Jesse seemed calm and rational, fresh somehow at least he would appear so at the time, I was uncertain who was going to help. I have photos from that evening. We kept going back to get tear gassed repeatedly. My images are mostly of urban landscape portraiture. I have no images of the Scott Olsen incident. I felt that this was too exploitative to document. People worried at that moment inquired – but I had to say I couldn’t justify it.

I had never been tear gassed before that evening. One of the double images I used in my flicker #OO set is among many more blurry images that I do not choose to publish. This one is okay. http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinbaueroakgroveberkeley/7504915724/in/set-72157630427659640 The protesters almost appear to be ghost walking. http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/10/26/18695170.php : “Todos Los Negros Valen Berga…Putos!” All black burqa worth fucking was spray painted on the 19th St. sidewalk near the stay away order park near Broadway Avenue. It was fresh paint. My memory of this is not clear, I think someone overheard hispanic cops speaking and decided to give a warning. Or perhaps Hispanic people had overheard the police. That was months before the Fuck the Police marches would regularly organize.http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/10/30/18696031.php The infamous End Police Brutality shields, and march, one follow up article can be found if you typed my name in the indybay search engine. Hella Gay, People’s Park tree sit, and People’s Park were also areas I was interested in photographing. http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/12/13/18702713.php image 640 dsc 02354.jpeg, picture of Occupy Banner on truck during the General Strike, this went viral! That had never happened to me before. The image of the bike scouts preceding the late afternoon march with the cranes in the background with fading sky coloration is in that article as well. [Would make for a good bike shop photo! Maybe the Hold-Out anarchists community center in West Oakland will purchase one for their bike shop.] The first photo in this article really tells a lot about activism’s sociological demographics-my emphasis obviously.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/11/29/18701319.php; The first image…you know how Oakland is, a young African American strolls by with his friends, he is clearly a non-activist. “Check out that shit man! They put a nigger in a tree!” I mean for fuck sake, really dude. It gave the tree sitter and I something to laugh about, I think he had tears in his eyes at some point, keeping good morale up during a tree sit is an imperative. It was simply too fucking hilarious. You might have had to have been there. That might not have happened on the same day, although it was the same tree sitter.

            As these events transpire within Oakland as well as around the world, bike block is preventing road rage during marches, there is more integration within the activist community between different orientations, within our various sub-cultures, and the cops began selective arrest tactics, targeting specific people who they believed were crucial to the movement, just like they did to the Black Panthers back in the day. Look at these articles and related series carefully. You might be able to learn something new as you see them differently as time is passing. The actual physical dynamics of Oscar Grant Plaza I believed would dictate future kettling.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/12/30/18703658.php; This was two hours of non-stop photographing, arrests, and police brutality. My worst day on the field ever, many photos at the end of this article of our occupy brother being pushed, pulled, and twisted against his will, the arrest was obviously adamantly protested and our occupy brother was tortured by the Oakland Police for what seemed like forever. OPD officer Christopher Keder was the assailant in question. My female friend was arrested for possession of a yoga-mat. Other charges infringed against people’s constitutional rights also.

Other favorites include; http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/01/30/18706165.php Aquapy Lake Merrit! Not worth the swim! I took a lot of mini tee pee photos, although I grew weary of it eventually. San Francisco Occupy Capitalism, Occupy Love was a beautiful and fun Valentine’s Day event, Death of Emeryville Squat Hellarity, #OO Six month anniversary, [If my camera had not been stolen, Occupy Albany Gil Tract Farm,] Lakeview Elementary School Occupation, Obama fundraiser protest and cannabis initiative, Occupy’s First Birthday, and Occupy Oakland’s first Birthday as well, etc…

 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment