Saturday, February 9, 2013

Interview with #OWS Nomad.


Interview with #OWS Nomad.

 

Darin

 

Author’s note: Nomad has traveled the country and has been able to visit several occupy sites. Many of Nomad’s insights seemed like east coast versions of #OO or #SF, just based on my observations and conversations here. The similarities made the interview process all the more humanizing. Many of Nomad’s observations are well documented via video on the internet.

 

Describe how you became involved with the Occupy Movement and your initial moments at Zuccati Park.

 

I honestly never cared about anything political before I arrived, my traveling buddy sent me links about the protest, and bought me a bus ticket and said “you’re going.” My thoughts were, “I just want to be where the action is.” I arrived at an almost empty park and went to sleep, only to wake up to hundreds. Talking to people made me feel as if I was at a University having private discussions with fifty professors a day. It was incredible discovering my dormant passion for renewable resources among other desires to change social injustices.

 

What were the occupiers like there?

 

Certainly an eclectic group of individuals, any stereotype available was there, from your “crusty-punk,” to your ex-homeland security worker. Even an ex-Wall Street worker! The clash of the classes I observed at the park was a three class tier. One class was the leachers of the resources, the media whores, and the brilliant minds that strive for systematic change.

 

Nomad describes police brutality that she personally witnessed.

 

I witnessed incredible instances of police brutality, including a 70 year old woman crying out in pain, “loosen the cuffs x2,” [U-Tube title.] and policemen throwing her into the back of a paddy wagon as if she were a rag doll. One moment a medic friend “Jo,” was on a march and a police officer threw J’s head into a storefront window so viciously the window had cracked! A number of friends getting fractured ribs, boys and girls, young and old. I suppose an upper punch to the ribs is a favorite among NYPD tactics. One very severe case was Brendan, on the night of the first eviction one cop pushes and pounces on the 17/18 year old boy and punches him, then five more cops join in and the first officer grabs him by the hair and smashed his face into the ground while the others are kicking him for what seems like twenty minutes. Fast forward to the third night we kept Union Square; [Hundreds of cops, barricaded every night, for the first time in history, despite a rich history of Union related activism. It was so hectic at Union Square that Nomad did not see how the woman was thrown. As it turned out the woman in question had a preexisting spinal condition.]a woman gets thrown about six feet in the air, at the same time she’s getting on a stretcher and a friend is holding her c–line (a device that keeps the neck straight,) in place. I overhear a captain tell an officer to place a barricade in front of the “mob” of occupiers, and make arrests the moment someone pushes it. Lo and behold my friend “D,” kicks it and a barrage of cops go after him, they trample over the girl getting on the stretcher and I’m watching cops trying to hold back other officers. A more recent incident is my friend “J,” who has been hurt plenty of times for having blue dreadlocks, yet this instance in particular during the NATO action, was run over by a police vehicle. I could go on about much brutality on my comrades but those were some notable ones.

 

Nomad describes her least favorite or most interesting moment regarding interaction with police, in this case the NYPD.

 

March 17th, 2012

 

The incomplete Fulton station a block down from Zucchatti has no cameras due to unfinished wiring and some hanging outlets. I was there charging my phone on the night of the movements sixth month anniversary which overlapped the St. Patties celebration. I saw a family of ten struggles with paying fare and tried to explain / point out the fact there were no cameras. Any other night skipping fare would be no problem, but not that night, ha-ha with at least 200 cops upstairs. Two Caucasian cops come waltzing down the steps and stop and frisk an African man on his way out. Only half the family had gotten through by now, I tried to distract the officers by interrupting their uncalled for search by asking about the trains schedule. By now the family had gotten through smoothly and the officers let the guy go so now all their attention was diverted to me. They told / ordered me to remove my phone and threatened to charge me with petty larceny. Some of the conversation went like so:

 

Cops: Why did you interrupt our police activity?!

Nomad: I was unaware of the trains schedule sir.

Female cop: That isn’t why! Tell us why!

Nomad: Ma’am why else would I ask you?

FC: You stopped us solely because you saw two white cops stopping and frisking some black guy and you felt because you are an occupier that was so wrong and in your “righteous” fight, you need to intervene!

Nomad: So why did you stop him? You did not find anything on him. I saw.

[Cops now looking really hot in the face and intensely raising their voices.]

MC: What?! What if he WAS a bad guy and had a gun on him and shot all three of us, both of us would be alive and you would be dead because WE have bullet proof vests and YOU don’t!!! [Insert grrr!]

 Nomad: Yet he didn’t.

MC: All you occupiers want is a free ride and utopian societies where you don’t have to work for anything and have everything handed to you, don’t you?

FC: Do you have any idea how hard I work for my pension?! I get next to no vacation and work x amount of hours to pay my bills and house – I mean I work my ass off.

Nomad: How can you generalize the movement like that, everyone’s sentiment and agendas here is different and no, I don’t believe in a utopian society. I believe in a renewable resource based economy. I also don’t deny the fact you work so hard for your pension. That makes you happy. Yet I believe if you make your work your passion, it’s no longer work.

MC: [Sounding a bit defeated yet still malicious tone.] Get outta here.

Nomad: [Cops start walking away; Nomad walks after them almost chasing them down.]

But sir!

MC: You and your little movement had to come here on this day to take away and distract the general public from 150 years of Irish heritage! So thanks for taking that from us. Thanks a lot, goodbye!

Nomad: I can’t believe you brought it to something so ludicrous! Just because a revolution is occurring doesn’t mean you can’t go drink green beer plus I’m sure the Irish have been celebrating much longer than the Irish Americans. [A little history, there was no Irish Republic until there was a United States, just the same I’m sure Nomad is right, nationalism aside that is.]

MC: Why are you dragging this on just go; you’re the one following us now.

Nomad: K. Goodbye Mister. [Mumbling.]

 

Other highlights from Nomad’s time regarding #OWS;

 

-Texted friend while watching on U-Stream, Nomad’s friend locking neck to something with a kryptonite lock, during critical #OWS action. [This is a hectic process, yet we must remember that solidarity and morale are of the upmost importance.]

 

-When a line of riot cops came marching, with the USA Constitution over Nomad’s right eye, Nomad said audibly using a drill sergeant voice: "Sir, I can't see out of my right eye and when there is nothing right, what left is there?" [That was a popular one at #OWS, which was also documented and performed by various protesters, during the excitement and naiveté of the initial activities.]

 

Author’s post script: As I have mentioned Nomad’s activities and observations seem to be on par in some ways with other events and activities by others at #OWS and elsewhere. It would be nice in the future if people could somehow relate more of their personal accounts so that we might have a more thorough understanding of how we relate to our actions in times of crisis especially as we work towards continuations in fundamental change with our revolution. I think this process helps us grow and comprehend our situation more fully than simply making conversation with our friends. Let us know what you think of this kind of example, should you think you have something additional and relevant to offer. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment